- Coaches Risk Management
- Concussion Training
- Coaching Education & Registration
- Centers of Excellence
- Coaching Articles
- Safety Checklist
- Laws of the Game
- Coaches Registration Form
- Coaches Request For Payment
- Meet Tom Turner
- OYSAN Skill Awards Program
- Ohio North Coaches Association
NOTE: The "E" License is the required prerequisite for the "D" License. OYSAN coaches who have taken the U10/12 Course prior to 2013 are also eligible to register for the "D" License. However, the "D" License includes practical assessments of coaching ability and is not recommended for inexperienced parent-coaches without a soccer-playing background. The "E" License prerequisites must be competed by OYSAN coaches presenting a U10/12 certificate.
Click this link to view available courses:
The National "D" license is a 36 to 40-hour course designed for the experienced coach who has already earned a National "E" license. The focus of this course is to improve a coaches ability to positively influence individual players and teams.
The National “D” course is only administered and instructed by State Soccer Associations. Please contact your State Association for more information on these courses and course schedules.
What are the key components of the "D" license course?
- Develop the core coaching competencies necessary to effectively teach the 13-14 year old athlete and team.
- Understand the characteristics and needs of an athlete in the Intermediate Stage of U.S. Soccer's Athlete Development Model.
- Build on the foundation of knowledge and experience in order to proceed through the sequence of coaching development courses.
What are the specific target outcomes of the course?
- Break down a Soccer Problem into a manageable practice plan.
- Apply the Principles of Play to a line or functional unit.
- Apply the Principles of Play within a 7v7 training environment.
The “D” license course is broken into four phases:
I. Preparation Phase
- Candidates are required to complete five (5) assigned training sessions (see session topics below).
II. Instructional Phase (14 to 18 hrs.)
- Candidates meet face-to-face with instructors at a course.
III. Deliberate Practice Phase
- Candidates are required to complete five (5) assigned training sessions over a minimum of 10 weeks. It is expected that the sessions be evenly distributed through the 10 week period.
- Candidates will be assigned the training sessions during the Instructional phase.
IV. Performance Review Phase (14 to 18 hrs.)
- Final on-field exam.
- Candidates have one full year following the completion of the deliberate practice phase to attend any performance review phase to complete the “D” course.
- Candidates are required to view an online presentation and complete a series of questions on Concussion Awareness. The assignment must be completed prior to the candidate receiving their final course results.
- Visit this link to complete the online assignment.
- Candidates are not required to print a certificate of completion.
- A report will be automatically sent to U.S. Soccer and the State Association host upon completion.
“D” License Candidate Guidebooks
- Download - “D” License Candidate Guidebook - English
- Download - “D” License Candidate Guidebook - Spanish
- Download - “D” License Goalkeeping Guidebook - English
- Download - “D” License Goalkeeping Guidebook - Spanish
*The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal.
U.S. Soccer Curriculum
- Learn more about the U.S. Soccer Curriculum - More Info
- Daily Schedule - sample - English (.pdf) | Spanish (.pdf)
- Lesson Plan - English (.pdf) | Spanish (.pdf)
- Candidate Topics and Themes - English (.pdf) | Spanish (.pdf)
About the Course...
The "D" License is required of all OYSAN State League coaches and those coaching in the Midwest Regional League. It is suggested that all competitive OYSAN coaches working in 11-a-side soccer hold at least a "D" License.
The “D” License consists of theoretical (classroom) and practical (field) instruction on teaching the four components of soccer -- technique, tactics, fitness and psychology -- as they relate to games between 1v1 and 11v11. The course also includes a sports science component and an extensive analysis of coaching methods.
The “D” License includes a formal testing process to qualify coaches for the national coaching schools. Coaches are assessed on their ability to create a written lesson plan and conduct a training session based on specific soccer problems. Candidates are expected to coach in games of up to 9v9.
There are two possible outcomes for “D” License candidates:
1. Coaches can be assessed as capable of succeeding at the national coaching schools and awarded a “D License.”
2. Coaches can be assessed as “not ready” for the national coaching schools and awarded a “D Certificate.” Coaches who wish to proceed to the national coaching schools can retest at any future “D” License course after at least one season of additional practice. There is no charge for retesting at a regular “D” course; and a $100 fee to schedule a 60-minute private assessment.
"D" License Materials and Supplementary Reading
The "D" course is a professional certification that requires a level of technical and methological understanding well beyond the organization of simple drills and fun games. Candidates are urged to review the following self-study guided prior to attending the course.
Soccer Problems Explained
Situating Your Practices
Improving Coaching Efficiency
The following information will also be useful to candidates seeking to prepare for advancement along the US Soccer Professional Coaching Pathway.
The assessment process includes games of up to 9v9; therefore, a minimum number of candidates (24), or the guaranteed availability of local youth players, is required to conduct the course.
D License Course - Instruction Phase - $200 plus a $2.50 transaction fee
D License Course - Performance Phase - No Charge
***Occasionally, an additional Facility Fee may be charged by a local organization. This fee is announced in advance and is due at check-in.***
• Contact Us • 6650 W. Snowville, Suite Y • Brecksville • Ohio • 44141 •
• Ph: 440-526-9020 • Fx: 440-526-9055 •