- Coaches Risk Management
- Concussion Training
- Coaching Education & Registration
- Centers of Excellence
- Coaching Articles
- Safety Checklist
- Laws of the Game
- Coaches Registration Form
- Coaches Request For Payment
- Meet Tom Turner
- OYSAN Skill Awards Program
- OYSAN Coaches Association
NOTE: The "E" License is the required prerequisite for the "D" License. OYSAN coaches who have taken the U10/12 Course prior to 2013 are also eligible to register for the "D" License. However, the "D" License includes practical assessments of coaching ability and is not recommended for inexperienced parent-coaches without a soccer-playing background. The "E" License prerequisites must be competed by OYSAN coaches presenting a U10/12 certificate.
Click this link to view available courses:
US Soccer "D" License Overview
The "D" License presents a much-changed format in 2013, as part of US Soccer's upgraded professional coaching pathway. The new "D" License has four steps.
Step 1 (Individual Preparation) includes the completion of per-course assignments (on-line and on-field).
"D" License Pre-Course and Deliberate Practice Soccer Problems.
Step 2 (Group Instruction) is the traditional face-to-face coursework, which has been reduced in length from two weekends to one.
Step 3 (Deliberate Coaching) provides candidates with the opportunity to develop their ideas about the coaching process in their local environments and are encouraged to seek a mentor coach during this period. Additional on-field assignments are required during this step.
Step 4 (Performance Review) is the final coaching assessment weekend, which includes classroom sessions and practical field testing. Candidates must wait a minimum of one season before attending the Performance Review weekend. Candidates are encouraged to bring their own teams to this phase of the course.
About the Course...
The "D" License is required of all OYSAN State League coaches and those coaching in the Midwest Regional League. It is suggested that all competitive OYSAN coaches working in 11-a-side soccer hold at least a "D" License.
The “D” License consists of theoretical (classroom) and practical (field) instruction on teaching the four components of soccer -- technique, tactics, fitness and psychology -- as they relate to games between 1v1 and 11v11. The course also includes a sports science component and an extensive analysis of coaching methods.
The “D” License includes a formal testing process to qualify coaches for the national coaching schools. Coaches are assessed on their ability to create a written lesson plan and conduct a training session based on specific soccer problems. Candidates are expected to coach in games of up to 9v9.
There are three possible outcomes for “D” License candidates:
1. Coaches can be assessed as capable of succeeding at the national coaching schools and awarded a “National” pass.
2. Coaches can be assessed as “not ready” for the national coaching schools and awarded a “State” pass. Coaches who wish to proceed to the national coaching schools can retest at any future “D” License course after at least one season of additional practice. There is no charge for retesting at a regular “D” course; and a $100 fee to schedule a 60-minute private assessment.
3. Coaches who do not complete the course requirements, or who do not demonstrate a minimum level of applied soccer knowledge or teaching competency are not awarded the "D" License. In the first instance, the candidate can make up any missed sessions at another "D" License course within the following 12 months; in the latter case, the course grade is recorded as "Not Ready."
"D" License Materials and Supplementary Reading
The 2013 "D" License schedule is noted below. The assessment process includes games of up to 9v9; therefore, a minimum number of candidates (24), or the guaranteed availability of local youth players, is required to conduct the course.
D License Course - Instruction Phase - $220 plus a $2.50 transaction fee
D License Course - Performance Phase - No Charge
***An additional Facility Fee may be due at check-in. Please check with the coaching course coordinator***
• Contact Us • 6650 W. Snowville, Suite Y • Brecksville • Ohio • 44141 •
• Ph: 440-526-9020 • Fx: 440-526-9055 •